FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DOG DAY CARE
WHO CAN PLAY?
Requirements to play:
Most dogs who do well in a dog park will do well at Downtown Dogs. Since your dog's safety and well being is our top concern, we do have a few requirements for day care dogs.
- Spay or Neuter
All dogs over 7 months old must be spayed or neutered.
Dogs must be current on the following vaccinations:
DHPP (Distemper, Hepatitis, Parvo, Para-influenza)
Please bring vaccination record to your evaluation.
- Play Nice!
Dogs must be able to share toys and space with people and other dogs.
HOW DO I BECOME A CLIENT?
1. Read the requirements above and ensure your dog meets them.
2. Call to schedule your first day. The first day is an evaluation to ensure the dog is a good fit for the environment and the environment is a good fit for the dog. Schedule it for a day you are available to come and get the dog in the event things don't go well. Dogs must arrive by 11:00 AM for their evaluation. Earlier is better.
3. On your first day bring your dog and your proof of vaccination if it has not already been faxed by your vet. Give yourself about 10 extra minutes as we do have some registration paperwork.
4. After the evaluation day if all goes well you can come for daycare or boarding any time!
CAN I CHECK IT OUT BEFORE LEAVING MY DOG?
Absolutely! We love to show off our digs! Stop in during business hours 6:45 AM and 6:30 PM, M-F or 9:00 AM to 6:30 PM Saturday and Sunday. If at all possible please avoid 12-2pm weekdays. This is the dogs nap time and visitors really stir the dogs up during VERY much needed rest.
WHO WILL TAKE CARE OF MY DOG? CAN I MEET THEM?
Absolutely! You will have the opportunity to meet your pup's caretakers when you take your tour or when you drop off or pick up your pup.
DO YOU HAVE AN OUTDOOR YARD?
YES!!!!!! Through successful collaboration with the city we were able to gain permission for an outdoor yard!!
DO YOU SEPARATE BIG AND LITTLE DOGS?
We allow the dogs to separate themselves into the playgroups of their choice. They generally separate by play style more than size. We feel it is important socialization for dogs of all sizes to interact with each other. Some small dogs prefer to hang out with other small dogs but our experience is most want to play with the big guys. Therefore as a part of our evaluation we insure that all dogs are good with dogs of all sizes. In other words, big dogs must be good with small dogs and vice versa.
SHOULD I BRING MY DOG WHEN I COME TO CHECK IT OUT?
It works better if you don't. The daycare dogs get very excited at the thought of a new playmate and it tends to make the experience more hectic.
DON'T THE DOGS FIGHT?
It is pretty rare. Because we require an evaluation of all dogs prior to attendance and because the dogs behavior is carefully managed things run pretty harmoniously. While there is never a guarantee, Downtown Dogs takes every precaution to ensure there are no fights. Your dog's safety is our top priority!
Precautions we take to ensure your dog's safety:
- All dogs are evaluated and dogs exhibiting aggressive behaviors are not admitted to daycare.
- Dogs are supervised by trained professionals 100% of the time. Our staff is trained to understand dogs body language so fights can be stopped before they start.
- Dogs are carefully and slowly introduced to their play group.
Since dogs do bite and claw as they play, minor cuts and scratches are not uncommon; but you can rest assured every precaution is taken to avoid a serious altercation.
I AM INTERESTED IN OPENING A PET RELATED BUSINESS. CAN I COME AND TALK TO YOU?
If our FAQs were listed in order of frequency asked this would be near the top. It would not be humanly possible to accommodate every request. Therefore, consults are available with Anne for $40.00/hour. Because her first priority is the dogs there is limited availability.
WHY DOWNTOWN DOGS?
Downtown Dogs is simply the best dog daycare in the metro area. We are the largest with 13,000 square feet for your dog to run and play. We are affordable and the care your dog will receive is second to none! And that's not all!
Our location is the ultimate of convenience and our hours and flexibility cannot be beat. This makes it easy for you to give your dog the very best care.
Knowledgeable, Caring Staff
Our nurturing, energetic staff will really connect with your pet! We take care of each dog as if they were our own. This is more than just a job to us!
Commitment to Customer Service
We listen to our customers needs and wants. We are committed to our 2 legged clients as well as our 4 legged clients! We want you to have a great experience each time you leave your dog with us. Our staff is not only friendly and flexible, we want to go the extra mile for you every time.
WHAT BREED OF DOG IS THAT IN YOUR COMMERCIAL AND ADS?
He is Anne's dog. He's a German Wirehair Pointer Lab mix named Riley.